לוגו אתר Fresh          

אפשרות תפריט  ראשי     אפשרות תפריט  צ'אט     אפשרות תפריט  מבזקים     אפשרות תפריט  צור קשר     חץ שמאלה ●●● ברוכים הבאים אל פורום צבא וביטחון ●●● לפני הכתיבה בפורום חובה לקרוא את דבר המנהל ●●● עקבו אחרינו! ●●● חץ ימינה  

לך אחורה   לובי הפורומים > חיילים, צבא וביטחון > צבא ובטחון
שמור לעצמך קישור לדף זה באתרי שמירת קישורים חברתיים
תגובה

כלי אשכול חפש באשכול זה

ישן 20-05-2010, 16:15
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13
  zragon13 zragon13 אינו מחובר  

חבר מתאריך: 19.09.05
הודעות: 1,280
Improved 5.56mm for USMC and new "ideal caliber" presentation

The USMC has decided to issue their troops in Afghanistan with the improved 5.56mm MK318 round that was originally developed for and previously issued only to special forces.

From http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/02/marine_SOST_ammo_021510w/
ציטוט:
The document, signed by J.R. Crisfield, director of the Navy Department International and Operational Law Division, is clear on the recommended course of action for the 5.56mm SOST round, formally known as MK318 MOD 0 enhanced 5.56mm ammunition.

“Based on the significantly improved performance of the MK318 MOD 0 over the M855 against virtually every anticipated target array in Afghanistan and similar combat environments where increased accuracy, better effects behind automobile glass and doors, consistent terminal performance and reduced muzzle flash are critical to mission accomplishment, USMC would treat the MK318 MOD 0 as its new 5.56mm standard issue cartridge,” Crisfield wrote.

The original plan called for the SOST round to be used specifically within the M4 carbine, which has a 14½-inch barrel and is used by tens of thousands of Marines in military occupational specialties such as motor vehicle operator where the M16A4’s longer barrel can be cumbersome. Given its benefits, however, Marine officials decided also to adopt SOST for the M16A4, which has a 20-inch barrel and is used by most of the infantry.

I originally posted the following slide of the new barrier-blind mk318 in the discussion on the M24A2 sniper rifle but got no reaction
ציטוט:
But for me the most interesting developments covered here are not related to snipers, but for regular assault rifles: the Mk318 556 and mk319 762x51 ammo with bullets that have superior "behind barrier" terminal effects
(ie will do serious damage to the person in a car even after first penetrating the windshield)
תמונה שהועלתה על ידי גולש באתר ולכן אין אנו יכולים לדעת מה היא מכילה
This was first reported back in February but as I haven't noticed it mentioned anywhere on the forum, I decided to open a separate thread dedicated to this topic along with some related information that I have recently come across for those that are interested in infantry small arm developments
Firstly, small arms ammo expert Tony Williams has published a new informative and very nicely illustrated presentation entitled
ציטוט:
The Next Generation: The Case for a New NATO Rifle and Machine Gun Cartridge
This is an extended version of a presentation to the National Defense Industries Association (NDIA) Joint Armaments Conference in Dallas, May 2010. Selected slides from the PowerPoint presentation are included: the full set of slides will be available on the NDIA website from June 2010
In a related discussion, Tony Williams adds the following revelation (my bold
ציטוט:
..in a very recent survey of US troops, the need for additional range for their carbines was one of the key requests. Also, the 7.62 M14EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle) DMR is proving so popular that the troops want it as an organic part of squad equipment (i.e. permanently allocated). And while the 7.62 MK48 LMG was originally allocated as a temporary replacement for the M240 until the lightweight M240L was ready, the troops have kept the M240: the MK48 is being carried instead of the 5.56 M249

The USMC is intending to carry out an exhaustive examination of calibres in between the 5.56 and 7.62 (6.5 and 6.8 being specifically mentioned) on a like-for-like basis, using SOST and LFS type bullets for all

Looks like there might be some new hope for improved rifle ammunition after all
?!!?

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 20-05-2010 בשעה 16:21.
תגובה ללא ציטוט תגובה עם ציטוט חזרה לפורום
ישן 20-05-2010, 18:10
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 2 שנכתבה על ידי vlad_k שמתחילה ב "השאלה היותר חשובה האם נראה את..."

In terms of what the IDF decides to do, I have no idea, but my feeling is that the IDF will eventually follow whatever the US decides to do in terms of ammo choice.

But in any case we won't be the first in the neighborhood to adopt 6.8mm SPC. That title seems to have been already taken by the personal security guards of a local King

ציטוט:

Jane's reports that Jordan arms manufacturer KADDB will be manufacturing the LWRC International 6.8mm PSD sub-carbine and under license for use by royal protection units.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...uced-in-jordan/

In regards to a new round also replacing 762 NATO in a MAG I think that it will require a more powerful and larger round than 6.5G or 6.8SPC. Something like the old British 7x43 or proposed 7x46 by Chris Murray or perhaps a 6.5mm or 7mm version of the 762 NATO cartridge

ישן 25-05-2010, 09:53
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 4 שנכתבה על ידי ilanb שמתחילה ב "קודם שצה"ל ישתמש ב 5.56 אחיד..."

Ilan

I have no idea when it was decided to standardize on the green tip M855 but I estimate that it was around the time that they decided to issue the Negev

However, I understand that due to its simpler construction, the older 55grain bullet is more consistant in terms of accuracy and even terminal effects at ranges under 300m. And in light of the M855 reportedly proving much less spectacular than originally claimed ("more effective than the 7.62mm MAG" the girl instructor said), perhaps it would not be such a bad thing to go back and instead standardize on the old bullet
?

Also, in light of all the reported criticism of 5.56mm effectiveness in Afghanistan and Iraq,
I am curious as to your opinion if it would be more effective or not to equip the regular infantry soldiers with a more powerful cartridge like a 6.5/6.8/7mm, or even go back to the 7.62NATO
?

I am thinking in terms of training issues and hit probability (more recoil and less velocity vs less wind drift and more penetration power

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 25-05-2010 בשעה 09:55.
ישן 25-05-2010, 15:17
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 6 שנכתבה על ידי קרן-אור שמתחילה ב "לא הבנתי מה ההבדל הגדול מ-..."

As far as I understand, the M855 with the steel penetrator was designed to be able to consistantly penetrate old Soviet steel helmets (thin steel) at ranges beyond what the older 55gn M193 could. It was developed by FN so that their Minimi light machine gun would have a long enough effective range so that the US would buy it to replace the 762mm M60 MG at the squad level

Apparently these bullets are not that effective penetrating other types of material. The M855 disintigrates after going car glass and thus does not remain lethal enough after going through like even a softer but heavier bullet like the M80

From the pictures I posted above you can see that the barrier-blind bullets have a regular lead core (the dark part) at the top but a solid copper base at the bottom. I understand that on impact it mushrooms like a softpoint and the solid base stays together ensuring that there is enough mass to keep on penetrating and cause more damage to the target

It supposedly acts something like this Trophy Bonded Bear Claw hunting bullet upon which it was based

The comparison photos on slide 12 of the following presentation show how the barrier-blind 77grain TOTM bullet performance is not downgraded by car glass and on Slides 15-16 how the 62gr ATK TOTM (mk318) compares to other bullets

Note that the bonded 77grain TOTM was a heavier and more expensive test version of what became the issued 62grain Mk318

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 25-05-2010 בשעה 15:41.
ישן 26-05-2010, 10:51
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 10 שנכתבה על ידי רועי 357 שמתחילה ב "רגע ss109 ו m855 זה לא אותו..."

SS109 is what originally FN and perhaps most of NATO calls it, while M855 is the US military designation for their ammo that uses the same bullet (more popularly known as "green tip". This same ammo has "5.56 dor-bet" printed on IDF cartons and ammo cans. Since IMI ammo is also purchased by US military, I am pretty sure that it is the same specs as M855

SS109 and M855 should be the same but apparently there can be differences depending on who manufactures it. For example I read that the British slightly download (~100fps) their SS109 ammo so that it doesn't cause problems with their L85 rifles
BTW, the original 5.56mm cartridge with the 55grain bullet is known as M193 in US military and "regular or "white tip" in IDF usage

Also
from http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_m855yaw.html
From Dr. Roberts (terminal ballistics expert
ציטוט:

"Combat operations the past few months have again highlighted terminal performance deficiencies with 5.56x45mm 62 gr. M855 FMJ. These problems have primarily been manifested as inadequate incapacitation of enemy forces despite their being hit multiple times by M855 bullets. These failures appear to be associated with the bullets exiting the body of the enemy soldier without yawing or fragmenting.

This failure to yaw and fragment can be caused by reduced impact velocities as when fired from short barrel weapons or when the range increases. It can also occur when the bullets pass through only minimal tissue, such as a limb or the chest of a thin, malnourished individual, as the bullet may exit the body before it has a chance to yaw and fragment.

In addition, bullets of the SS109/M855 type are manufactured by many countries in numerous production plants. Although all SS109/M855 types must be 62 gr. FMJ bullets constructed with a steel penetrator in the nose, the composition, thickness, and relative weights of the jackets, penetrators, and cores are quite variable, as are the types and position of the cannelures.

Because of the significant differences in construction between bullets within the SS109/M855 category, terminal performance is quite variable—with differences noted in yaw, fragmentation, and penetration depths. Luke Haag’s papers in the AFTE Journal (33(1):11-28, Winter 2001) describe this problem."

And for all the ultra short commando barrel lovers (including those responsible for issuing the Tavor to the IDF infantry with the 38cm barrel, or even worse, the Micro Tavor with only 33cm barrels
:
ציטוט:

Q. I heard that M855 has had serious stopping problems in Afghanistan, and earlier in Somalia. Is this true?

It's possible, yes.

Though early M855 experiments showed the round fragments well in the lab, more recent testing has been showing inconsistent fragmentation. Partially because of the complex construction of the round, M855 has widely-variable yaw performance, often not yawing at all through 7-8" or even 10" of tissue. Testing has shown large batch-to-batch differences in yaw performance even from the same manufacturer, and given the number of plants manufacturing SS-109-type bullets, fragmentation performance is very difficult to predict. This is complicated by the low velocity implicit in using M855 out of the short barreled M4 platform.
Interesting, few of these reports seem to be coming from troops 20" or SAW platforms. It would seem that the additional velocity from the longer barrel provides adequate usable fragmentation range for M855 in the majority of cases. From shorter barrels, such as the M4's 14.5" barrel, M855's fragmentation range varies from as much as 90m to as little as 10m, which frequently isn't enough range.

and this is in addition to what i think is a more important issue: a diminished effective range due to a slower trajectory with a bigger drop

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 26-05-2010 בשעה 11:13.
ישן 26-05-2010, 12:09
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 10 שנכתבה על ידי רועי 357 שמתחילה ב "רגע ss109 ו m855 זה לא אותו..."

ציטוט:
במקור נכתב על ידי רועי 357
בכל מקרה יצא לי לירות במסגרת אזרחית בתחמושת הזו מקבצים מעולים וכושר חדירה ממש טוב!
זה מה שלדעתי צריכים הקלעים...

Interesting. I read that the US was intending to issue their squad marksmen with mk262 that uses a 77grain mastch bullet, however I understand that due to its much higher cost than regular FMJ ammo, usually only special forces ever get it and that regular 5.56 marksmen mostly use regular M855
If the rich American military won't supply their squad marksman with match ammo, I find it hard to believe that the IDF ever will

What kind of penetration are you talking about?

I was looking at the Federal/ATK for their ammo specs and they have a catalog that compares terminal performance of their different 5.56 loads through various kinds of barriers such as heavy clothing, steel, plywood, car glass (which is apparently the toughest challenge).
See http://le.atk.com/pdf/223RifleDataBook.pdf

Interestingly, elsewhere they specify a muzzle velocity of 2950fps for the 69gr bullet you mentioned but only 2720fps for the 77gn bullet load which sounds kind of low. (both from 24inch test barrels)
http://le.atk.com/general/federalpr.../goldmedal.aspx

Edited to add

on the site you linked a 20rnd box of ammo is sold for

55gn M193 - $7.59 - 8.59

62gn M855 - $9.49

69or77gn SMK - $30 ---that's about 6 NIS a round

The only way that infantry marksmen will ever get this is if they put the Golani brigade under the Airforce

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 26-05-2010 בשעה 12:34.
ישן 05-09-2010, 18:46
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 14 שנכתבה על ידי liorif שמתחילה ב "כיצד ביצועי ה[b]5.45x39mm[/b]..."

ציטוט:
במקור נכתב על ידי liorif
כיצד ביצועי ה5.45x39mm משתווים לאלה של הss109 ?
מניסוייו של פאלקר בזמנו עולה כי גם הוא סובל מאותה אפקטיביות טרמינלית לקויה של עמיתו המערבי.

The standard M855/SS109 556mm ball does most of its wounding damage by fragmenting while the standard 7N5/6 545mm ball does it by yawing early and in an erratic path. If you are talking about performance in terms of terminal effects against unarmored people, ie meat, as represented by the gelatin tests, then the 556 should be much more devasting as shown in the pictures below

BUT....while bullet fragmentation is more devastating, its occurrence is apparently not consistent, and the likelihood of it happening decreases as range increases and velocity drops. (Note the fourth picture from the top of the M855 with the long neck that only fragments beyond the 20cm white line that represents the thickness of a "skinny" man

In contrast, the yaw wounding effect of the 545 is not dependant on velocity. I don't know how effective this is in reality since the second yaw cycle takes place at a depth beyond the 30cm (the thickness of an average "Western" man (the yellow line

I think that the main advantage of the 545, similar to the 556, over the previous 762x39 is that it is faster with a flatter trajectory for a longer effective range

ציטוט:
כמו כן, תקן אותי בבקשה אם אני טועה, "בועת האוויר" שבקצהשני סוגי הדגמים נועדה לגרום לסבסוב (yaw) הקליע בעת פגיעה ברקמות כפיצוי על אפקטהרסס המופחת?

As you correctly noted, the large airspace at the front of the original 7N5/7N6 545mm (not the small one in the SS109/M855) was indeed said to change the center of balance upon impact and cause it to yaw early and in a curved or erratic path. When the bullet hits, the hollow tip flattens and the lead core in front of the steal core shifts forward. You can see an Xray photo of fired 545mm bullets and more sectional diagrams here

and this
ציטוט:

a strong case can be made that the 7N6's lineal ancestor is not Russian at all, but rather British. The British Mk.VII .303 ball cartridge featured a bullet with either an airspace or lightweight kapok filler at the nose that was designed to tumble upon impact with the target.

But from what I read here, the later 7N10, 7N22 and 7N24 versions of 545 don't have an air pocket anymore and are instead optimized to penetrate armor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.45x39mm

Judging from newer 545 AP rounds, it seems that the Russian ammo designers, as well as the Chinese with their 5.8x42, are mainly focused on defeating hard armor, while the US developers with their 77gn 556 and 6.8SPC are mainly concerned with increased lethality against unarmored militants - although the 556 mk318 is designed to better penetrate intermediate barriers like car doors and glass

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 05-09-2010 בשעה 19:13.
ישן 05-09-2010, 20:46
  liorif liorif אינו מחובר  

חבר מתאריך: 07.02.05
הודעות: 2,953
בתגובה להודעה מספר 15 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "[QUOTE=liorif]כיצד ביצועי..."

קודם כל, תודה על התשובה.

מהגרף מצטייר כי הtissue damage של ה545 הוא מינימלי ביותר, מה שאמור היה ליצור בעיה לא קטנה באפגניסטאן וצ'צ'ניה, אני משער, וזאת למרות שבאפגניסטאן יצא לו מוניטין מפלצתי (האגדה האורבנית על יציאת הקליע מהצוואר)... מעניין מאוד. אשמח אם תוכל לשפוך עבורי קצת יותר אור על הנושא, אם וכאשר יהיה לך פנאי וחשק.

הפסקה הזו קצת בלבלה אותי:

"I think that the main advantage of the 545, similar to the 556, over the previous 762x39 is that it is faster with a flatter trajectory for a longer effective range"

אני מודע של556 ו545 יש מהירות לוע גבוהה מזו של ה762 (אני מתייחס גם לרוסי וגם לנאט"ו) , אולם, על פי הידוע לי, משקלו הכבד יותר של ה762 גורם לסחרור איטי יותר וכפועל יוצא מכך, טווח אפקטיבי גדול יותר.
היתרון של מהירות הלוע הגבוהה יותר בא לביטוי בבליסטיקה הטרמינלית של הקליעים בטווחים קצרים, בין אם ע"י
yaw או fragmentation.
תקן אותי אם אני טועה.

כמו כן, זכור לי ממקור מסוים שעיינתי בו,שם צויין שהתלונות על הm855 באו, בין השאר, גם ממשתמשים בm16 ארוך, שבו בעיית המהירות המופחתת עם התרחבות הטווח אמורה להיות הרבה פחות משמעותית.
היש לכך סיבה ספציפית? לכאורה הבעייה אמורה להיות רק בקרב משתמשי "מקוצרים" למיניהם, הלא כן?

נערך לאחרונה ע"י liorif בתאריך 05-09-2010 בשעה 20:48.
ישן 06-09-2010, 19:12
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 16 שנכתבה על ידי liorif שמתחילה ב "קודם כל, תודה על התשובה. ..."

מהגרף מצטייר כי הtissue damage של ה545 הוא מינימלי ביותר, מה שאמור היה ליצור בעיה לא קטנה באפגניסטאן וצ'צ'ניה, אני משער, וזאת למרות שבאפגניסטאן יצא לו מוניטין מפלצתי (האגדה האורבנית על יציאת הקליע מהצוואר)... מעניין מאוד. אשמח אם תוכל לשפוך עבורי קצת יותר אור על הנושא, אם וכאשר יהיה לך פנאי וחשק.

Although the design of the 5.45 bullet is said to induce a curved wound path through the body after impact, reports of a bullet entering one place, hitting a bone and then coming out somewhere else can happen with other bullets also. For example, I read in a book on Vietnam how one American soldier took a rifle bullet (I assume from an AK) in his ankle that traveled up his leg and came out his upper body

Keep in mind also that the gelatin tests are still just repeatable laboratory tests and do not take into account different variables like bones and odd angles that would happen in reality.

About the reputation the 5.45mm got in Afghanistan as the “poison bullet”, here is a rather amusing version told by Gary Roberts (DocGKR), a well known terminal ballistics expert:
ציטוט:
Since the onset of OEF, it has been interesting having the opportunity to hear from former Muj regarding Soviet era weapon terminal performance. An SF armorer who helped with the SPC program recently related that the Afghans he has spoken with laughed when asked about the oft repeated Western lore of the 5.45 mm "poison bullet". The Afghans insisted that the statement is a misinterpretation; the word when translated correctly means poison like from an irritating insect or bee sting, NOT a lethal poison like cyanide or arsenic. Thus the "poison bullet" comment should more accurately be translated "stinging bullet", as in not terribly lethal...

הפסקה הזו קצת בלבלה אותי:

"I think that the main advantage of the 545, similar to the 556, over the previous 762x39 is that it is faster with a flatter trajectory for a longer effective range"

אני מודע של556 ו545 יש מהירות לוע גבוהה מזו של ה762 (אני מתייחס גם לרוסי וגם לנאט"ו) , אולם, על פי הידוע לי, משקלו הכבד יותר של ה762 גורם לסחרור איטי יותר וכפועל יוצא מכך, טווח אפקטיבי גדול יותר.

I think that you have a little mix up here. By a longer effective range I meant mainly the ability to hit the target. The 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge from the MAG fires a 147grain bullet at 2800fps while the AK 7.62x39mm fires an unaerodynamic 123grain bullet at only 2350fps and thus has a more rainbow like trajectory

The 5.56 and 5.45’s higher velocity give them a flatter trajectory and thus increase the hit probability of hitting the target at a much longer range than the 7.62x39mm. Look at the diagrams I made below

I estimate that the 5.45 trajectory from an AK47 would be similar to that of the M855 from the M4 (yellow line). In the case of the dashed blue line, I zeroed the AK at 200m instead of 250m like the others, to keep its trajectory from rising over 10cm, but this then causes it to drop down even more rapidly

The 7.62NATO's (the red line) greater mass and speed allow it to resist being blown aside by the wind and maintain higher energy at longer ranges than the 5.56 and 5.45 but the same is not true for the 7.62x39 round

היתרון של מהירות הלוע הגבוהה יותר בא לביטוי בבליסטיקה הטרמינלית של הקליעים בטווחים קצרים, בין אם ע"י
yaw או fragmentation.
תקן אותי אם אני טועה.

All pointed bullets like the kind used in most militaries for the last hundred years will yaw after impacting a body. Due to it’s shape, the center of gravity of the bullet is in the rear. The bullet is kept stable and point forward in air due to the spinning caused by the rifling, but when it hits something thicker like water, meat, it upsets and wants to travel tail first. This is yawing. Some bullets do it early, some do it twice and some do it only after the bullet has traveled a distance beyond the thickness of the body and thus leave just a narrow wound channel

The 5.56 NATO fragments not just because of its high velocity. It is the combination of relatively high velocity and its construction with a thin jacket and soft lead core that breaks apart when it yaws. However, bullets of any caliber can be designed to do this, and even at lower velocities, such as the 77gn mk262 match bullet or the 6.8 bullets (see the diagram I posted before. There are even 7.62 bullets that fragment

כמו כן, זכור לי ממקור מסוים שעיינתי בו,שם צויין שהתלונות על הm855 באו, בין השאר, גם ממשתמשים בm16 ארוך, שבו בעיית המהירות המופחתת עם התרחבות הטווח אמורה להיות הרבה פחות משמעותית.

היש לכך סיבה ספציפית? לכאורה הבעייה אמורה להיות רק בקרב משתמשי "מקוצרים" למיניהם, הלא כן?

In terms of terminal effcts I have read only the opposite, like I posted above

Interesting, few of these reports seem to be coming from troops 20" or SAW platforms. It would seem that the additional velocity from the longer barrel provides adequate usable fragmentation range for M855 in the majority of cases. From shorter barrels, such as the M4's 14.5" barrel, M855's fragmentation range varies from as much as 90m to as little as 10m, which frequently isn't enough range.

Also keep in mind that although there are many reports on the Internet, many from credible sources, about issues with the 5.56’s terminal effectiveness, I personally have not read or heard of any such reports from anyone I know in the IDF
To balance this, I have read plenty of stories around the world where 7.62 did not immediately stop the enemy. Remember that everyone was using heavy cartridges equal to the 7.62NATO in WW2 when the Germans, then Russians and later the British came to the conclusion that an assault rifle shooting an intermediate powered cartridge would be a more effective weapon

About the stories about 5.56 not being effective for long range fighting in Afghanistan, I believe that this is really about the ability to hit the target with a rifle. Thus I am skeptical that the troops will be getting a better effect even from 7.62NATO rifles.

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 06-09-2010 בשעה 19:35.
ישן 06-09-2010, 21:35
  liorif liorif אינו מחובר  

בתגובה להודעה מספר 17 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "[right][font=Arial]מהגרף..."

שוב, תודה על ההשקעה הרבה בתגובה.

האנקדוטה של רוברטס רק מחדדת אצלי את התמיהה לגבי המשך המגמה הרוסית לשפר כושר חדירות על פני יכולת השבתה אפקטיבית של מטרות אנושיות. כנראה המתכננים הרוסים מרגישים קצת לא נוח עם השיפור המתמשך בדגמים החדשים של אפודי המגן המערביים.

לגבי הדיאגרמה והדברים המצורפים שכתבת, הם באמת עזרו לי לעשות קצת סדר בבלגן שהיה לי.
מה שכן זה קצת שבר לי את הקונספציה לגבי הAK; עד עכשיו הייתי בטוח שהוא יודע להסתדר טוב מאוד עד 300 מטר (וגם שימשתי כסנגור שלו בנושא הזה בכמה וויכוחים שהיו לי בתקופת הצבא) ואילו עפ"י הדיאגרמה אפשר לראות שהוא מתחיל כבר לזייף משמעותית אחרי ה250 מטר. אני מניח שהמצב של ה7.62X39 משתפר משמעותית כאשר הוא נורה מSKS והוא אמור לתפקד יותר טוב בטווחים הארוכים לעומת5.56 שנורה מקנה 20" (?).

זכור ל שבאחד האשכולות ציינת כי אפקט הפרגמנטציה הבולט של ה5.56 התגלה בכלל בדיעבד ולא היה חלק מהתכנון המקורי. זאת אומרת שהכנסת הAR-15 והתחמושת הנ"ל לשירות בזמנו נועדה קודם כל להקנות לחייל האמריקאי כושר ניידות ותמרון משופר ע"י הפחתה משמעותית במשקל הרובה האישי והתחמושת שהוא נושא מבלי מתן תשומת לב מיוחדת לביצועים כנגד מטרות אנושיות ?
נו, על זה בדיוק נאמר "צדיקים מלאכתם נעשית בידי אחרים"
ישן 08-09-2010, 11:36
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 18 שנכתבה על ידי liorif שמתחילה ב "שוב, תודה על ההשקעה הרבה..."

שוב, תודה על ההשקעה הרבה בתגובה.

No problem. I am happy to share the knowlege.

I wish that I did not have to say that I learned 95 percent of this stuff from reading and only 5 percent in the army (the M16 forward assist was for silently charging the rifle during Vietnam; the M16 replaced the Galil because it was unreliable, etc.), but unfortunately, the opposite is true

לגבי הדיאגרמה והדברים המצורפים שכתבת, הם באמת עזרו לי לעשות קצת סדר בבלגן שהיה לי.
מה שכן זה קצת שבר לי את הקונספציה לגבי הAK; עד עכשיו הייתי בטוח שהוא יודע להסתדר טוב מאוד עד 300 מטר (וגם שימשתי כסנגור שלו בנושא הזה בכמה וויכוחים שהיו לי בתקופת הצבא) ואילו עפ"י הדיאגרמה אפשר לראות שהוא מתחיל כבר לזייף משמעותית אחרי ה250 מטר.

Lior

Despite all that I wrote before, I would not be so quick to dismiss the 7.62x39mm AK at 300m. I don’t know what the standard zero doctrine or setting is for the AK, but with a 250m zero, the drop is calculated at -26cm, so if the user aims at center mass (torso) of a standing man, he will still hit him in the stomach. With a 200m zero and a -48cm drop he will hit him in the legs

Remember that we are not talking about a sniper rifle here. Also there are other parameters than just bullet drop that contribute to getting a hit (for example the slower but heavier 7.62x51 bullet will be moved sideways by the wind less than the faster but lighter 5.56mm, thus increasing the chances of hitting a target at longer ranges

The heavier, non fragmenting 7.62x39mm bullet can penetrate intermediate barriers better which is important in close range fighting and this is probably why some Russian troops reportedly preferred to switch back to 7.62x39mm in Chechnya. The AK thus seems also a good choice, for example, for terrorists shooting at cars

In terms of accuracy or group size/spread I came upon the following tests conducted by expert shooters using AK47, AK74, M16A1 and M16A2 firing their standard ammunition

The surprising conclusion was there was no major difference in practical accuracy.* By this I mean that even at 400m, all four are accurate enough to put a 10 shot group within a man width sized target ~50cm

*HOWEVER, this test seems to ignore the effect of greater bullet drop reducing the amount of hits when you don’t know the exact range of the target like on a target range. In field conditions soldiers will not be changing the rifle rear sight settings for each target that appears and will most likely be shooting at center of mass. The flatter shooting small caliber rounds then make it easier to hit the target without changing the sight setting or remembering how high to holdover the target, in other words, have a longer “point-blank” range than the much slower AK47 round

Bottom line--as an infantry soldier, I would rather be equipped with a rifle that shot the small caliber high velocity ammo with a longer effective range than the 7.62x39mm. If I had the choice I would probably pick the new mk318 5.56mm round since it also provides a greater ability to penetrate intermediate material than the older M193 or M855

זכור ל שבאחד האשכולות ציינת כי אפקט הפרגמנטציה הבולט של ה5.56 התגלה בכלל בדיעבד ולא היה חלק מהתכנון המקורי.

Yes that's true. The smaller 5.56 bullets had to be driven faster so that they would be able to approach the 500m effective range capabilities of the older 7.62 rifle bullets

Although it was already reported early in Vietnam that the smaller fast bullets made terrible large exit wounds on the enemy, the true wounding mechanics was not understood at the time and people believed that the fast little bullet was spinning or looping around inside the body. In fact, many people still believe these ideas

I hope that I have not confused you with my long winded words

If you are interested in reading more, I very much recommend these:

Tony Williams is very knowledgeable and writes excellently. I especially like and strongly recommend his great article on the history and development of the Assault rifle and the "intermediate" (between pistol/SMG and 30cal rifle/MG) ammunition http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Assault.htm

U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition Failures and Solutions- mostly about terminal ballistics and alternate calibers by DocGKR
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

The following presentation very nicely illustrates the reported problems with M855 5.56 in current combat situations, including issues with penetration of car windshields and other intermediate barriers, and why better alternatives are being examined. To see it paste this url in your browser (the site will not allow a direct link) http://stevespages.com/pdf/5_56mm_military_info.pdf

Another thread with discussion about 5.56 vs 5.45 vs 7.62 here
http://www.fresh.co.il/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=437865&highlight=yaw#post3099468

Chag Samach & Shanna Tova

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 08-09-2010 בשעה 11:53.
ישן 09-09-2010, 16:21
  liorif liorif אינו מחובר  

בתגובה להודעה מספר 19 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "שוב, תודה על ההשקעה הרבה..."

I wish that I did not have to say that I learned 95 percent of this stuff from reading and only 5 percent in the army (the M16 forward assist was for silently charging the rifle during Vietnam; the M16 replaced the Galil because it was unreliable, etc.), but unfortunately, the opposite is true
אני לא אשכח בשירות הג'ובניקי שלי שבאחת מבדיקות הכוננות אחד הקצינים (שהיה מסופח לשלישות לא פחות ולא יותר) הבחין שבראש אחת המחסניות שלי היה כדור "ירוק" אחד וגער בי על כך משום ש"כידוע", יריה בכדור כזה מקנה בלתי מעובה תפוצץ את הנשק...

נו, זה מילא, אחרי הכל זה היה בסיס ג'ובניקי טיפוסי, אבל לשמוע שהמצב במהערך הקרבי לא טוב בהרבה זה קצת מדאיג...

אני מכיר את האתר של טוני וויליאמס אולם מעבר לרפרוף קל לא יצא לי להתעמק בו, אולם גם מרפרוף קל זה ניכר כי The man knows his stuff
שאר המקורות נראים יסודיים ומפורטים מאוד בניתוח הסוגייה, תודה רבה.
ישן 08-09-2010, 15:18
צלמית המשתמש של ביטיס
  ביטיס ביטיס אינו מחובר  
מומחה ללוחמת חי"ר, סיור וצליפה

חבר מתאריך: 06.12.04
הודעות: 21,060
בתגובה להודעה מספר 18 שנכתבה על ידי liorif שמתחילה ב "שוב, תודה על ההשקעה הרבה..."

לגבי הסיפא שלך - נכון. המטרה היא נשק קל עם תחמושת קלה שמסוגל לבצע ירי אוטומטי מדוייק יחסית. יתרונות של נזק טרמינלי או מסלולים בליסטיים מעניינים חובבי נשק וקלעים ספורטיביים, לא אנשי צבא. הדיוק הנובע מסחרור, מהירות לוע יהיו תמיד מובלעים בטעות שמייצר המשתמש ברובה.
הסיבה העיקרית לחיבה לקטרים 5.56 ו5.45 היא בעובדה שהנשק קל, התחמושת קלה - משמע, שיותר חיילים יכולים להשתמש בנשק הזה בצורה יעילה בטווחים הריאליים ללחימה.*

"After the uprising of the 17th of June the Secretary of the Writers Union had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
stating that the people had forfeited the confidence of the government and could win it back only by redoubled efforts.

Would it not be easier in that case for the government to dissolve the people and elect another?" -Bertolt Brecht

I remember very vividly, a few months after the famous pacifist resolution at the Oxford Union visiting Germany and having a talk with a prominent leader of the young Nazis. He was asking about this pacifist motion and I tried to explain it to him. There was an ugly gleam in his eye when he said, "The fact is that you English are soft". Then I realized that the world enemies of peace might be the pacifists - Robert Hamilton Bernays -

ישן 12-09-2010, 13:19
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 22 שנכתבה על ידי ביטיס שמתחילה ב "לגבי הסיפא שלך - נכון. המטרה..."

[QUOTE=ביטיס]לגבי הסיפא שלך - נכון. המטרה היא נשק קל עם תחמושת קלה שמסוגל לבצע ירי אוטומטי מדוייק יחסית. יתרונות של נזק טרמינלי או מסלולים בליסטיים מעניינים חובבי נשק וקלעים ספורטיביים, לא אנשי צבא. הדיוק הנובע מסחרור, מהירות לוע יהיו תמיד מובלעים בטעות שמייצר המשתמש ברובה.

הסיבה העיקרית לחיבה לקטרים 5.56 ו5.45 היא בעובדה שהנשק קל, התחמושת קלה - משמע, שיותר חיילים יכולים להשתמש בנשק הזה בצורה יעילה בטווחים הריאליים ללחימה.*
[/QUOTE]

Betis,I wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph but not the first

Whether bullet flight characteristics or terminal ballistics is of interest to the average military man is as relevant as the amount of interest the average tank officer has for the mechanics of a diesel engine . But I hope that the technical experts that recommend what is issued do take interest and understand.

I certainly do not need to explain to you about the advantages of a flat trajectory for a longer point-blank range. This is what increases the probability of a hit for the average soldier.

Fact is that Russians and Chinese both were already using an intermediate power round with reduced recoil and weight and yet both opted to spend a lot of money to design and change to smaller and faster rounds. This was mainly to increase the effective maximum range of their assault rifles from about 300m to 450m and secondly, for better terminal (wounding) performance

Recoil difference between 762x39 and the 5.x is said to be slight. I checked and the difference between 554x39 and 762x39 is about 5grams per round. Even less for the 5.8. For a load of 8 magazines (240 rounds) this comes out to only 1.2kg total

I don’t understand what you meant by
הדיוק הנובע מסחרור

How will the spin change the accuracy beyond the minimum rate required to keep the bullet stable in air
?

תמיד מובלעים בטעות שמייצר המשתמש ברובה

But the greater amount of drop with the 762x39 will increase the effect that the shooter error has on getting hit vs with the faster 5.x calibers

ישן 12-09-2010, 13:37
צלמית המשתמש של ביטיס
  ביטיס ביטיס אינו מחובר  
מומחה ללוחמת חי"ר, סיור וצליפה

חבר מתאריך: 06.12.04
הודעות: 21,060
בתגובה להודעה מספר 23 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "..."

הבעיה המרכזית מובלעת בגישה של tony williams: יש הרבה מאוד גורמים בנשק שמשפיעים על איכות הירי שלו, אבל הבעיה המרכזית שלו היא שהוא לא לוקח בחשבון גורמים יותר חשובים.

לצורך העניין, אם אני צריך לבחור בקוטר גדול עם מסלול שטוח יותר, וקטלניות גבוהה יותר מקוטר קטן יותר, אבל אתה משלם במשקל ויכולת נשיאה - אז אולי לא תעדיף את הקליבר העדיף מבחינת ביצועים.

בסופו של דבר, אני משלם למהנדסים לעשות מה שניתן בשביל לשפר את היכולת של החימוש הקיים, אבל ההחלטה על החימוש לוקחת הרבה נושאים אחרים שאין להם שום קשר לאיכות הביצועים של הקליע - לכן, השאלה היא של סדרי העדיפויות, ומה יותר חשוב.
בראיה שלי, אני מעדיף קליבר קטן יותר כי אפשר לשאת יותר חימוש ממנו, והמשקל הכולל של הכלי + תחמושת קטן יותר. עכשיו, נכון. אני לא אקח קליבר קטן מדי, אבל אני אקח כזה שהוא מספיק טוב.

הנקודה השניה היא של פרופורציות. האם הכסף שאני משקיע בקליע חדש וטוב יותר שווה את ההשקעה ואת השיפור שלו? מה ישפר הכי הרבה את הביצועים של החייל הממוצע (אם תוציא את הנושא האימונים, כי הוא קשור למערכת המכשירה ולא לפיתוח)?
כוונות? אורך קנה?
לדוגמה, האם השיפור שנעשה מ-300 מטר ל-450 מטר ניתן לניצול ע"י החייל הממוצע? כי אם לא, הרי שההשקעה הזו לא בדיוק שווה את הכסף שהושקע בפיתוח.

לגבי השאלות, אני מתכוון ל-yaw של הכדור וההשפעה של הירידה במהירות הקליע על הנתון הזה.

"After the uprising of the 17th of June the Secretary of the Writers Union had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
stating that the people had forfeited the confidence of the government and could win it back only by redoubled efforts.

Would it not be easier in that case for the government to dissolve the people and elect another?" -Bertolt Brecht

I remember very vividly, a few months after the famous pacifist resolution at the Oxford Union visiting Germany and having a talk with a prominent leader of the young Nazis. He was asking about this pacifist motion and I tried to explain it to him. There was an ugly gleam in his eye when he said, "The fact is that you English are soft". Then I realized that the world enemies of peace might be the pacifists - Robert Hamilton Bernays -

ישן 16-09-2010, 16:51
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 24 שנכתבה על ידי ביטיס שמתחילה ב "הבעיה המרכזית מובלעת בגישה של..."

הבעיה המרכזית מובלעת בגישה של tony williams: יש הרבה מאוד גורמים בנשק שמשפיעים על איכות הירי שלו, אבל הבעיה המרכזית שלו היא שהוא לא לוקח בחשבון גורמים יותר חשובים.

Perhaps he doesn't appreciate these factors enough because he did not serve in the military and thus lacks experience about how soldiers function in real conditions

בראיה שלי, אני מעדיף קליבר קטן יותר כי אפשר לשאת יותר חימוש ממנו, והמשקל הכולל של הכלי + תחמושת קטן יותר. עכשיו, נכון. אני לא אקח קליבר קטן מדי, אבל אני אקח כזה שהוא מספיק טוב.

לצורך העניין, אם אני צריך לבחור בקוטר גדול עם מסלול שטוח יותר, וקטלניות גבוהה יותר מקוטר קטן יותר, אבל אתה משלם במשקל ויכולת נשיאה - אז אולי לא תעדיף את הקליבר העדיף מבחינת ביצועים.

Your arguments are certainly valid for comparing the small caliber high velocity (SCHV) rounds against the full power rounds like 7.62 NATO. But I think that you are missing my point. My original comparison was between the SCHV vs the AK round, both of which are intermediate power cartridges

To try and better explain what I mean, let me briefly rehash the history behind the assault rifle ammo.

Full-Power--from around the beginning of the century to WW2, soldier rifles shot “full-power” cartridges firing a heavy bullet weighing 150grain (9.5gram) at muzzel velocity of about 2600-2800fps. These are equivilent to the current 7.62NATO or 7.62x54R Russian. Used in FN FAL and M14

Advantages-Good long range ballistics and power

Disadvantages-heavy recoil, large size and weight of weapon and ammunition

As combat studies showed that the overwhelming majority of rifle hits were made under 300m, this meant that the large, full power cartridges were unecessary powerful. It was also concluded that it would be more effective to provide soldiers with ammo that weighed less so that more could be carried and had less recoil so that automatic fire would be possible (and perhaps more importantly, easier to fire rapidly in typical semiauto fire)

There were two basic ways to design an intermediate power cartridge: Reduce the velocity or reduce the bullet mass

Large Calber Low Velocity – The first generation Nazi and Russian assault rifles used the same 7.62/8mm diameter as previous full-power cartridges, but used shorter bullets that weighed about 120grain (8gram) and shot them at lower speed of about 2300fps.

Advantages-Low recoil, small cartridge size and weight; good short range penetration of barriers.

Disadvantages-high trajectory, short effective range (200-300m

Small Caliber High Velocity (ie 5.56NATO, 5.54x39 Russian, 5.8x42 Chinese) shot small, light ~60grain (4gram) bullet at relatively high speeds of around 3000fps.

Advantages-Low recoil, small cartridge size and weight; flat trajectory, effective range up to 450m. Improved terminal effects

Disadvantages-low mass doesn’t penetrate barriers well

Conclusions: Both intermediate power ammo types let the soldier get more hits and carry more rounds than with the previous full-power ammo.

Since both the SCHV and LCLV they have about the same recoil and weight, the main difference here is the flatter trajectory of the small caliber higher but faster 5.xx bullets vs the better barrier (ie cinder blocks, wood, metals, cars) penetration ability of the slower but heavier 762x39.

But SCHV increases the PH compared to 762x39mm because it has a flatter trajectory and thus makes it more likely to hit the target when aiming center of mass at unknown typical battle ranges up to 300m. Like I posted before, when both are zeroed for 250m, already at 300m the -26cm drop for the AK bullet. Is twice that of the M16. With all other factors contributing to shooter error are equal, this is exactly why the SCHV bullet will give the higher hit probability.

And despite all the talk about terminal effectiveness issues with the current 5.56mm, I think that any non-superficial hit with any bullet will in 90% of the time cause the target to become combat ineffective-and this is sufficient for a practical infantry rifle.

I think that what is most important to the military about the infantryman’s weapon is in fact Probability of Hits (PH). Remember the ACR trials http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Combat_Rifle in the 1980s where the US Army looked for a possible replacement for the M16 and demanded a 100percent increase in PH? This was the drive behind the XM29 OICW project with its smart air bursting grenades

Of secondary importance was the superior terminal effects of the new Russian and Chinese ammo-early yaw upon impact for increased wounding with the original 5.54 and better armor penetration with the 5.8 and later versions of 5.54

לדוגמה, האם השיפור שנעשה מ-300 מטר ל-450 מטר ניתן לניצול ע"י החייל הממוצע? כי אם לא, הרי שההשקעה הזו לא בדיוק שווה את הכסף שהושקע בפיתוח.

Is it worth the expense? The Russians and Chinese obviously think so

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 16-09-2010 בשעה 17:17.
ישן 16-09-2010, 21:32
  liorif liorif אינו מחובר  

בתגובה להודעה מספר 25 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "[right]הבעיה המרכזית מובלעת..."

[QUOTE=zragon13]

Since both the SCHV and LCLV they have about the same recoil and weight, the main difference here is the flatter trajectory of the small caliber higher but faster 5.xx bullets vs the better barrier (ie cinder blocks, wood, metals, cars) penetration ability of the slower but heavier 762x39.

הדף פחות או יותר זהה אני יכול להבין, אבל אני די בטוח שהחייל הממוצע מרגיש היטב את ההבדל בין 8 גרם ל4, במיוחד כשמדובר בסופו של דבר במשקל המצטבר של התחמושת שהחי"רניק אמור לנשוא עמו.
ייתכן שלא בדיוק ירדתי לסוף דעתך, אשמח אם תפרט יותר בנושא.

And despite all the talk about terminal effectiveness issues with the current 5.56mm, I think that any non-superficial hit with any bullet will in 90% of the time cause the target to become combat ineffective-and this is sufficient for a practical infantry rifle.
סליחה על הבורות אבל כשאתה אומר פגיעה בלתי שטחית הכוונה היא פגיעה באיבר חיוני
?
ישן 17-09-2010, 00:22
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 26 שנכתבה על ידי liorif שמתחילה ב "[QUOTE=zragon13] [left]..."

אבל אני די בטוח שהחייל הממוצע מרגיש היטב את ההבדל בין 8 גרם ל4, במיוחד כשמדובר בסופו של דבר במשקל המצטבר של התחמושת שהחי"רניק אמור לנשוא עמו.

As I posted before, I checked and the difference between a 554x39 cartridge (bullet+case) and 762x39 is about 5grams per cartridge (11grams vs 16grams). Since the AK74 magazine holds the same amount of rounds and I assume is of similar construction, a full load of 8magazines (240 rounds) comes out to a difference of only 1.2kg

סליחה על הבורות אבל כשאתה אומר פגיעה בלתי שטחית הכוונה היא פגיעה באיבר חיוני

No, I meant basically anything other than a scratch. First of all, in most most cases enemies aren't shot in face to face distances where they must be incapacitated immediately. And at farther ranges, you are not necessarily in immediate danger. In most cases the wounded enemy will probably try to withdraw or if he continues to fight, be less effective.

Conversely, I have read true accounts of soldiers being shot with much more powerful ammunition like 762NATO, 50 caliber, or even 40mm grenades that didn't detonate, and didn't immediately stop fighting

One might say that 556is like the 90% solution while 762NATO is the 95% solution but at twice the weight and size. And 50cal is the 99% solution but at 10times the weight and size. But there is no weapon powerful enough to provide a 100% guarantee of stopping a person immediately that is light enough to be carried by a man (at least outside of Hollywood

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 17-09-2010 בשעה 00:38.
ישן 17-09-2010, 16:38
  liorif liorif אינו מחובר  

בתגובה להודעה מספר 27 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "אבל אני די בטוח שהחייל הממוצע..."

[QUOTE=zragon13]אבל אני די בטוח שהחייל הממוצע מרגיש היטב את ההבדל בין 8 גרם ל4, במיוחד כשמדובר בסופו של דבר במשקל המצטבר של התחמושת שהחי"רניק אמור לנשוא עמו.

As I posted before, I checked and the difference between a 554x39 cartridge (bullet+case) and 762x39 is about 5grams per cartridge (11grams vs 16grams). Since the AK74 magazine holds the same amount of rounds and I assume is of similar construction, a full load of 8magazines (240 rounds) comes out to a difference of only 1.2kg

אני שואל אותך, בתור חירניק, האם להבדל של קילו וקצת אין משמעות בטווח הארוך של המאמץ הפיזי המצטבר שאתה מפעיל, העייפות שאתה חש כפועל יוצא מכך ופעולות פיזיות שעליך לבצע חרף עייפות זו? אני כמובן מתייחס לספקטרום המאמצים המלא של החירניק הממוצע שכולל משתנים כמו פזצטות, זחילות וכיו"ב.

Conversely, I have read true accounts of soldiers being shot with much more powerful ammunition like 762NATO, 50 caliber, or even 40mm grenades that didn't detonate, and didn't immediately stop fighting

לגבי פגיעה של 40 מ"מ בלתי יזום, נראה לי שהחייל היה מסוגל להמשיך להלחם בשל מהירות הלוע הנמוכה מאוד של הקליע המדובר (76 מטר לשנייה מm203). אני כמובן לא הייתי רוצה לנסות באופן אישי כיצד מרגישה פגיעה כזו, אבל נדמה לי שחייל בעל מספר שכבות ביגוד+ אפוד מגן+אפוד פאוצ'ים לנשיאת תחמושת, מלבד כמה צלעות שבורות, יהיה עדיין כשיר פיזית להמשיך להלחם גם לאחר שנפגע ע"י הנ"ל
(הכל בתיאוריה כמובן, ובהתייחסות למצב תיאורטי של פגיעה בסביבות טווח ה50 מטר ומעלה. פגיעה מטווח קצר יותר כנראה תהיה קטלנית יותר).

נערך לאחרונה ע"י liorif בתאריך 17-09-2010 בשעה 17:01.
ישן 08-09-2010, 15:10
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

Lead free M855A1 EPR
בתגובה להודעה מספר 1 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "Improved 5.56mm for USMC and new "ideal caliber" presentation"

For those of you that might not have been following the 5.56mm saga, while the USMC adopted the barrier-blind Mk318, for service in Afghanistan, the US Army has been pushing its own development. For several years, the Army has been spending millions of dollars working on an environmentally-friendly “green” replacement for the M855. The new cartridge, designated M855A1, has a partially exposed arrow shaped steel penetrator in front of a lead-free core. It weighs the same as the current M855 and is supposed to have the same trajectory.
The original M855A1 Lead Free Slug (LFS) version that was to be first fielded last summer, had a bismuth-tin core, but just as millions of rounds were manufactured and about to be issued to the field, they discovered that some of the bullets did not follow their intended trajectory and that they proved to be sensitive to heat.
The USMC, which had then been considering adopting the new Army round, decided to go ahead with the Mk318 instead.
Now the Army has developed a new version that replaces the tin core with a copper core. It has renamed the cartridge Enhanced Performance Round (EPR) and began to issue this new version to troops this summer.
Note that the photo below is of the first version and not the current one that uses copper for the core instead of bismuth-tin תמונה שהועלתה על ידי גולש באתר ולכן אין אנו יכולים לדעת מה היא מכילה
The new round is claimed to have better performance than the current M855 round, especially in terms of penetrating steel and cinder blocks. Below are two slides from a recent presentation that highlights the new round
In the following link you can see the rest of the M8551A1 Enhanced Performance Round (EPR) presentation slides along with criticism by Doctor Roberts (DocGKR)
ציטוט:
Sorry, but I am not impressed. M855A1 EPR would make nice linked MG ammo, but is NOT my first choice for a carbine or rifle. It doesn't help that the recent Big Army briefings on the topic are filled with misleading statements and outright falsehoods. For example, in the public briefing shown above:
Page 6 is highly inaccurate, as it states that both M855A1 EPR and M855 have good performance against car windows, yet this is patently untrue. Likewise it states that both M855A1 EPR and M855 offer good accuracy—this is not always correct, as some recent lots of M855 have been pushing 6 MOA. It also states that both M855A1 EPR and M855 have a trajectory match with M856 trace—this is not true, as all three cartridges offer different trajectories, as has been demonstrated by previous Doppler radar tracking and accuracy testing. Some Army sources have stated that units are NOT required to re-zero when transitioning to M855A1 EPR; this is a gross error of judgment that could result in needless fatalities.
Page 8 illustrates the POOR terminal performance characteristics of M855A1 EPR against automobile windshields—look how the projectile has fragmented into separate pieces after first hitting the windshield; it is galling that the briefing tries to make this sound like a good thing by claiming it increases the probability of a hit. True barrier blind projectiles do NOT come apart like M855A1 EPR. Notice that no actual gel photos or wound profiles are included.
Page 9 implies that 5.56 mm M855A1 EPR offers better terminal performance than a 7.62 mm projectile—this may be true when comparing EPR from 2010 against 1950’s era technology like M80 FMJ, but not if a true apples-to-apples comparison is made against a modern 7.62 mm cartridge. For example compare M855A1 EPR against M80A1 EPR or Mk319. Page 9 also states that M855A1 EPR can defeat soft Kevlar armor rated against handguns—yet most center rifle projectiles can defeat soft armor. It also implies that M855A1 EPR can also penetrate some Level III armor; this is true, as M855A1 EPR can defeat compressed polyethelene hard armor plates, of course current M855 already does that. What M855A1 EPR cannot accomplish is penetrating current eSAPI armor. If we go into combat against a true peer competitor nation who issues equivalent hard armor, M855A1 EPR is going to be useless.
The M855A1 EPR program is a damning indictment of the utter FAILURE of the Army procurement system to rapidly and effectively respond to the needs of our Nations troops—especially in time of war. This incomplete briefing is flawed at best, insulting at worst. Why has it taken over a decade and hundreds of millions of tax payer funds to develop what is essentially a product improved 1960’s era Bronze Tip bullet? How come M855A1 EPR costs twice as much as Mk318 and is also more expensive than even Mk262 and 70 gr Optimal/brown tip?

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 08-09-2010 בשעה 15:16.
ישן 12-09-2010, 13:25
צלמית המשתמש של zragon13

בתגובה להודעה מספר 30 שנכתבה על ידי קרן-אור שמתחילה ב "נצל"ש- [QUOTE] [b] This..."

[QUOTE=קרן-אור]נצל"ש-

קשה לי להניח שאפילו צבא ארה"ב, שמוציא כמיליארד דולר בשנה על מו"פ לאמל"ח אישי וצוותי, משקיע "מאות מיליוני דולרים" במצטבר במחקר על תחמושת לרוס"ר.

Is this any more difficult to believe than the money they wasted on developing the XM8 or SCAR rifles that were eventually not purchased? Or the decision to adopt the digital universal UCP pattern that anyone who was not blind realized was terrible, and after spending millions on new UCP uniforms and gear, turn around a few years later and buy new gear in MultiCam? The same MultiCam pattern that was tested as being superior before they decided to issue UCP in the first place

Never doubt the ability of a government organization to waste the public’s money. This is peanuts compared to the amount of money they spent on various abandoned armor vehicle, missile or aircraft projects. I don’t know how much money was involved in this project but I have observed over the years that DocGKR is very exact in his comments and not one to exaggerate

Worse, in my opinion, is that they spent all this money mainly to develop an environmentally friendly bullet with no lead in it rather than one that was more combat effective. Only probably due to embarrassment after the Marines developed and issued a more combat effective round to their soldiers, did the Army rebrand the second M855A1 version as Enhanced Performance Round

Even if superior rifle ammo is not of major importance on the battlefield, maybe the Army decided to spend money on it because of political or public interest in this topic. Rifles and rifle bullets, like uniforms or body armor, are equipment that almost every soldier uses and can relate to (and that the general public can grasp). “Johnny must have the best equipment money can buy

Compare this to the number of people that can relate to perhaps more serious problems like the lack of an effective antipersonnel round for their tanks during the 2003 Iraq invasion

?

And buying stuff due to popular pressure is not unique to the US Army. What about all the money the IDF spent on changing vests and getting short barrel rifles for the reserves? Do you think that this will have any real effect on the outcome of the next war

?
כמה היתקלויות תלויות בכך שכדור יחדור את החלון וישבית את האדם שברכב (להבדיל מכדור ראשון שיפוצץ את השימשה, והכדור השני יעשה את העבודה]

I don’t know the answer to that question. I know that a regular 55gn bullet will pass end to end through the sheet metal of a car but I have never shot through car glass

Once in an exercise we encountered a “virgin” old Russian truck (without windows) in front of our assault path. We had a lot of fun pouring lead into it from the front. Afterwards I returned to check it out. I could clearly see the small 5.56 holes that entered the engine hood but not all of them continued through the dash board and into the seats. But the MAG bullets made big holes that destroyed everything in the cab and continued on. From what I saw, if I were a guy in a vehicle, I would rather take my chances with ten guys shooting 5.56 rifles than one with 762x51 MG

So is it worth spending money on more effective ammunition? I can't say, but do you think that an equally trained unit will perform better with Tavors that the Army paid for in cash than one armed with free M4s?

נערך לאחרונה ע"י zragon13 בתאריך 12-09-2010 בשעה 13:32.
ישן 12-09-2010, 16:22
  liorif liorif אינו מחובר  

בתגובה להודעה מספר 31 שנכתבה על ידי zragon13 שמתחילה ב "..."

[QUOTE:
Is this any more difficult to believe than the money they wasted on developing the XM8 or SCAR rifles that were eventually not purchased? Or the decision to adopt the digital universal UCP pattern that anyone who was not blind realized was terrible, and after spending millions on new UCP uniforms and gear, turn around a few years later and buy new gear in MultiCam? The same MultiCam pattern that was tested as being superior before they decided to issue UCP in the first place

Never doubt the ability of a government organization to waste the public’s money. This is peanuts compared to the amount of money they spent on various abandoned armor vehicle, missile or aircraft projects. I don’t know how much money was involved in this project but I have observed over the years that DocGKR is very exact in his comments and not one to exaggerate

END QUOTE

גם אני תוהה לפעמים כיצד האמרה שצ'רצ'יל העיר בזמנו עודנה נותרה רלוונטית מתמיד:

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else "

נערך לאחרונה ע"י liorif בתאריך 12-09-2010 בשעה 16:26.
תגובה

כלי אשכול חפש באשכול זה
חפש באשכול זה:

חיפוש מתקדם
מצבי תצוגה דרג אשכול זה
דרג אשכול זה:

מזער את תיבת המידע אפשרויות משלוח הודעות
אתה לא יכול לפתוח אשכולות חדשים
אתה לא יכול להגיב לאשכולות
אתה לא יכול לצרף קבצים
אתה לא יכול לערוך את ההודעות שלך

קוד vB פעיל
קוד [IMG] פעיל
קוד HTML כבוי
מעבר לפורום

כל הזמנים המוצגים בדף זה הם לפי איזור זמן GMT +2. השעה כעת היא 06:51

הדף נוצר ב 0.16 שניות עם 10 שאילתות

הפורום מבוסס על vBulletin, גירסא 3.0.6
כל הזכויות לתוכנת הפורומים שמורות © 2024 - 2000 לחברת Jelsoft Enterprises.
כל הזכויות שמורות ל Fresh.co.il ©

צור קשר | תקנון האתר